Thursday 9 February 2012

1.The Beginning of the Journey....

Where to begin, I guess it started for me when I felt, on my own, a lump in my lower abdomen on the left side, This was sometime during the month of  May, 2011 shortly after my annual physical at which time there was nothing abnormal during the exam. I decided to wait a bit to see if it was maybe a cyst that would go away with my next cycle, but it did not. I called an made an another appointment to see Dr Tina Liu-P'ng. She saw me right away. As she felt the lump she commented that it definitely had not been there in Mid April....it was now the Beginning of June. I was given a requistion for an Ultra sound, it was scheduled for the 15th of June, however she said if I felt a lot of sudden pain to go to Emergency right away. I decided to go to Emergency at Trillium near Sherway a few days later as I was in a lot of discomfort and did not want to wait any longer. I was examined by the Dr on call and sent for an ultra sound. The on call Dr. went over the results. It was a cyst on my left ovary, 6-8 cm, which appeared hemoragic (filled with blood and fluid), it also appeared that it was leaking. I was told to return to my family Dr. to discus results. My family Dr advised me to wait 6-8 weeks and then have another ultra sound done. This would determine if the cyst leaked itself away and  or passed with my period. If the cyst was getting larger she would refer me to a surgical gynecologist to have it removed for safety reasons as  it could burst and cause extreme pain and dangerous blood flow into the abdominal area.

I felt relieved that it was "just a cyst" and it was not cancerous. So, I proceeded to book a vacation to Santa Clara, Cuba for July 18 -25th. I booked an ultra sound for the 27th after my return. This would cover the 6-8 week waiting period.

The 2nd ultra sound was completed. The results showed the cyst had doubled in size! it was now 10-12 cm. I was refered to and scheduled to see Dr. Stein who had a pracise in Mississauga, right across from Trillium, at Hurontario and The Queensway. He was a young Dr and was very knowledgeable. He mentioned that he would do his best to simply remove the cyst but had to mention that depending on the complexity of the cyst once they started the surgey he might have to remove  the ovary as well. He did not seem concerned as the nature of the cyst did not appear cancerous in any way. He advised  that we schedule laparascopic surgery as soon as possible due to the speed at which the cyst was growing and the dangers if it burst. He checked his OR schedule and I was booked for September 19th.

Surgery went well but took longer than the usual 1 hour for this type of surgery, Coming out of the anesthetic Dr. Stein me informed that he had to remove my ovary as the cyst was attached to the ovary and also had attached itself to the uterine wall. He said the cyst specimen would be routinely sent over to pathology and the results would be back in 2-3 weeks. I was scheduled for a followup in November.

I did not think about the pathology again as I was busy going through the healing process from surgery. I was off work for about a week and a half. I was healing nicely and was also booked for a McNutt family vacation to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for October 8 -15th. The trip was fantastic and I returned to work.

I received a message on my phone from Dr. Stein's office on October 17th saying that he wanted me to come in to go over results. I called back the next day and was told that I could come basically anytime the next day, 8:30, 11:30 or 2:30. She stated that he would not have called me  to come in if it was not important. I chose to go first thing on the 18th.
To be continued..............



No comments:

Post a Comment